Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mexico day 4







November 1st,
Today, over all the roads were the worst I've seen
so far. At one point it took almost three hours to go 30 miles. They were horrible, huge pot holes,
grooves, gravel roads with huge holes in them.
Often all you could do was creep across them.
Then I lost a couple of hours again due to an
unmarked sign, or it was not clear. I'm in both of my other maps range now so maybe that will help. Trying to get one at the gas station I was just misunderstood. They thought I was asking directions to Mexico City again.
Anyway I still have another big city to go thru tomorrow, but if I want to try it I could be in Guatamala tomorrow, we'll see. I'm almost out of Pesos and have to change to Guatamalan money any how so thats really the only hurry at this point.
Other wise resting a day wouldn't be hard to take if I can find the right place. I'm not going to be in Costa Rica Monday anyway.
I've averaged about 300 miles a day, driving
sometimes 10 hours, so that tells you alot. Since
the border I've driven about 1200 miles, that includes 150 or so going out of the way. I'm also at about 3000 miles total now, maybe a little more
The bike has done so well for all its gone thru on these roads, their horrible, but you can still get 20 minutes of great roads, and then hit 20 miles of horrible roads. Usually they last as long as the good ones, but today there was long stretches, like I said almost 3 hours to go 30 miles.
I did see some beautiful mountains, valleys and hundreds of huge windmills. Also got hotter then it has so far, even with lotion I got burned, I have to be careful down here. And windier then ever,
even now. Gust's just about blew me sideways. I
almost had to stop it was feeling so dangerous. All
and all though I'm plodding along. Now I'm finally
on the main route thru Central America. Even started seeing some other bikers (two) going the other way. And some other U.S . looking cars and people. I"m really curious to see what the Pan American will be like. Traffic wise and road conditions.
Also I continue to have different aches and pains, most of them familiar from other times as well, but the constant downshifting with the bike, and having to use the clutch so much with my left hand today has my fingers especially my middle finger swollen. I don't think I have ever had to shift my bike so much in such a short time as I have had today. Between the speed bumps, the rough roads, construction, mountains and towns its been none stop. It will take awhile to fall asleep tonight.
Also my groin has began to bother me too, from being on the bike in one spot for so long. I have not been practicing my motorcycle yoga as much, I'm afraid I'm already a big enough spectacle for everyone! However, as sore as these muscles can get, usually the pain will go away as fast as it sets in, and seldom lasts more then a day. Its like I just get back on the bike and gradually work it out of myself. Loosen it up, and the swelling disappears.
The hotel I'm at now, and the town which I actually
have the name for is Tepanapete. After all the windy
conditions today, the wind continues to blow hard here. The town feels more open then others, very airy, and not as closed in. This proprietor has a cross and a picture of Jesus in their restaurant, usually a good sign. The room is simple of course, and dosn't lock. but unlike any of the other places I've stay'd at so far it has huge windows that open up and that cool breeze just blows in sending the curtains to the ceiling. There is a hammock out on the porch, and after a shower and a bite to eat up at the restaurant, some unpacking and writing some I go out and lay in it and watch the crescent moon come up. I am totally comfortable at this point except for my
hand which is really sore.
I go to bed early, it is light at six in the morning, and dark at six at night, year round down here, never changes. I would be as comfortable getting up at 3 in the afternoon and driving to 3 in the morning as driving all day in the heat, but thats not an option, so I really do try to get on the road by 6:30 or so everyday, some days at 6:00 if I can. The earlier the better, you just don't have an option of driving late. Plus wasting a couple of hours a day being lost is getting to be the norm!
Oh well I'm hoping for Guatamala tomorrow, I've heard Sunday is a bad day to go in, I don't care, as long as I get in, It will feel like I'm finally starting a different phase of the journey.
I go out and lay in the warm tropical breeze in the
hammock in front of my room....

0 comments:

Post a Comment