Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving from Intensa and Costa Rica

 Thanksgiving and Intensa 025 

The guests were varied and many, and all very hungry

Intensa, my Spanish school, had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner today for staff and a few guests. Robert  the Administrator gave an opening talk, and prayer, reminding us to be thankful for what we have, and also to always give freely of ourselves to others. A very important reminder for this day. And also to not forget the people who live along the Caribbean Coast here in Costa Rica who have been heavily affected by all the rains and flooding, many perhaps losing everything they have.

Thanksgiving and Intensa 014

Monica (I hope I spelled it right) our Human Resources person, who also teaches, cooks, and does whatever else needs to be done.

Thanksgiving and Intensa 020

There were maybe 50 or 60 of us all together

He also reminded us that all cultures have ways to give thanks, and their all important for the same reason. Sharing wine and food, or drink and food, and each others company reminds us of all our blessings, and that the more we give, the more we receive. His talk was given in Spanish, and I had someone translate it for me later ( I haven't learned that much Spanish yet!).

Thanksgiving and Intensa 019

This table was as hungry as the other one

After a great feast of Turkey, salad, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, a roll and some homemade pumpkin pie, they play' d pin the tail on the turkey, and passed out some prizes. I have to admit I was very touched by it all. The sharing, the good spirit, the thinking of others who may not be as fortunate, as part of the meal and the blessing. Not to mention the sincere atmosphere of friends and family in the workplace was something to see. I can not say how special this place is in so many ways, as a place to work, study, or just be around. If there is a secret to good management, its lessons I'm sure can be found here. I think it simply starts with people respecting people.

Thanksgiving and Intensa 021

The feast continues.....

I hope you all have, or had a good Thanksgiving. For me to share it in another country with people from all over the world, and especially with the good people of Costa Rica, is a gift, a blessing, and something to truly be thankful for.......

Thanksgiving and Intensa 022

The cooks who make it all possible, I took a cooking class with the lady on the right who taught me the way to do Nicaraguan rice and beans.

Thanksgiving and Intensa 025

And she just had to say greetings again from Costa Rica, the real "ham" of the feast..

Netscape ISP Homepage

0 comments:

Post a Comment